(Reidsville, GA – June 16, 2020) Optim Medical Center-Tattnall announced today that it is a recipient of the Healthgrades 2020 Patient SafetyExcellence AwardTM. This distinction places Optim Medical Center-Tattnall among the top 10% of all short-term acute care hospitals reporting patient safety data as evaluated by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems.
During the study period (2016 through 2018),Healthgrades 2020 Patient Safety Excellence Award recipient hospitals demonstrated excellent performance in safeguarding patients in the Medicare population, as measured by objective outcomes—risk-adjusted patient safety indicator (PSI) rates—for 13 PSIs defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).*
Healthgrades found that patients treated in hospitals receiving the Patient Safety Excellence Award were, on average**:
- 48.3% less likely to experience a collapsed lung due to a procedure or surgery in or around the chest, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals.
- 54.4% less likely to experience a hip fracture following surgery, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals.
- 66.8% less likely to experience pressure sores or bed sores acquired in the hospital, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals.
- 63% less likely to experience catheter-related bloodstream infections acquired at the hospital, than patients treated at non- recipient hospitals.
“Patient safety is always our top priority,” stated Rob Snipes, Optim Medical Center-Tattnall CEO. “Of the many accolades Optim Medical Center-Tattnall has earned, this one is especially meaningful as it directly reflects our mission of providing the highest quality care and the safest experience for our patients, as well as the communities we serve. I’m incredibly proud of our team of caregivers.”
“Consumers might not know that information around patient safety is readily available and should be considered when researching healthcare options,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Healthgrades. “We commend the recipients of the 2020 Patient Safety Excellence Award for their dedication to providing excellent care for their patients.”
In addition to being recognized with the Patient Safety Excellence Award, Optim Medical Center- Tattnall has been named One of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacementfor 7 Years in a Row (2014-2020).Other consistent recognitions by Healthgrades include:
- Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ (2014 – 2020)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement (2014 – 2020)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement (2012 – 2020)
- Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement (2014 – 2020)
- Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery (2016 – 2020)
View Healthgrades hospital quality methodologies.
*A 14thPSI included in the evaluation is Foreign Objects Left in Body During a Surgery or Procedure which is a “never” event and does not have an expected rate.
** Statistics are calculated from Healthgrades Patient Safety Ratings and Excellence Award methodology which is based primarily on AHRQ technical specifications (Version 2019.0.1) to MedPAR data for years 2016 through 2018 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only.
If all hospitals in the country performed at the level of award recipients for each of the 13 patient safety indicators, 110,864 patient safety events could have been avoided.